Saturday, May 21, 2011

The Race Is On!

I finally ran my first race.  It was a little over 5 miles and I feel so accomplished.

Before the race!

Yeah...I know....I've packed on some weight since I've been in germany.  Now that I have stopped taking the antibiotics that caused me to put on weight no matter how much I ran and exercised, I've finally began to see results in my weight too which I'm sure will help in future races.  I wish I was told that extended use of antibiotics could cause weight gain.  I feel like I'm starting all over in my quest to be fit.  Grrrrrr. Fortunately I didn't give up my physical exercising and my endurance is still quite strong.

Although I've been running 2-4 miles on a regular basis I was a little nervous about this race.  Besides the fact that it was my first official race....there were horrendous inclinces that prevented even experienced runners to opt out of participating.  I predicted that it would take me about 1.25-1.5 hours assuming that the inclines would slow me down. 

I started off good to my standards but I was being passed up person after person.  Sure I felt a little insecure but I told myself that speed isn't as important as constistancy.  I kept my pace consistant and continued to be passed up by kids and people that were a bit "chunkier" than myself.  How's that for an motivator.  But I didn't get discouraged and kept on trucking along. 

Then the first, longest, and toughest incline began.  I kept my pace and at about half way up the hill several people began to stop and walk the incline.  I kept my pace and began to pass person after person.  This first incline was the defining moment.  After I made it up to flat ground only 1-2 people passed me for the remainder of the race. 

At about 2.5 miles in I hit the "running high" for the first time ever.  I wanted to stop and walk for a minute but my body and mind would let me.  It really is the coolest and most refreshing feeling.  The high remained for quite sometime and it felt so good that I would periodically smile and tell myself how awesome I feel.  Before I knew it I saw the 4 mile marker.  What? Are you kidding me? I'm usually dying right now!  I felt amazing and increased my pace.  The feeling stayed until about the last 1/2 mile when the shortest yet steepest incline hit.  Holy Crap! I said to myself.  This sucks.  I felt the strength to finish hard and pushed hard to the finish line.  I don't know my exact time yet but I know it was a little under an hour.  Better than I predicted.  As for my rank....I definitely wasn't with the leading group but I wasn't even near the end. 

When I crossed the finish line I looked for my family.  I couldn't wait to see them.  After I didn't see them anywhere I called Joey.  The stinky butts didn't expect me to finish so fast and had went home to surprise me with a clean house.  It wasn't long before they showed up.  It felt so good to see their proud faces.  I may have influenced Joey to train to run the next one with me.  I know Tristen is definitely in on the next.  

After the race with my girlies.

After the race with my baby boy. 

It's gonna be great when we're all running races together!

No comments: